To serve you better, we've assembled a list of our residents' most frequently asked questions. If you don't find your answer here, feel free to contact us.

Frequently Asked Questions


How long does it take to get a library card?

Our librarian will be able to supply you with a new library card the same day you apply.

Are electronic books available?

No, not at this time.

Does the Library have "story time" for younger children?

We do offer "story time" for younger children!  Give us a call if the current schedule is not posted.

Planning & Zoning

Where can I find Planning and Zoning Applications or other information?

You can find Zoning Ordinances and applications here.

Town Hall

What hours is the Town Hall open?

City Hall is open from 8am - 5pm daily.

Public Works

Who do I contact to ask questions and turn on/off services?

Please contact the Town Hall at 252-827-4435, sending a email through our "Contact Us" page or send an email to obrown@pinetopsnc.com.

Application Process

I am interested in applying for a job with the Town of Pinetops, what do I do?

You will need to fill out an application.  Please ensure you meet the qualifications for the position you wish to be considered for, and follow the instructions in the announcement/ad.  If you would like to include a resume, simply attach it to the completed application.  You may mail or drop off the application at Town Hall, or as instructed in the announcement/ad.  

Does the Town of Pinetops hire part time employees?

Yes, we do hire part time employees.  Availability of these positions will be posted here when available.

Is there a benefit package for full time employees?

Yes a benefit package is offered to full time employees including health, dental, vision and pension plan. Paid holidays, vacation and sick/personal leave are also included. 

Employment Opportunities

How do I return my application?

Applications can be brought in person to the Town Hall at 101 E Hamlet St, Pinetops, NC 27864.

Applications can be accepted by email at obrown@pinetopsnc.com.

Applications can also be mailed to the Town of Pinetops at P.O. Drawer C, Pinetops, NC 27864.

Please call 252-827-4435, if you have questions.


May I burn trash and leaves inside Town limits?

No, the Town of Pinetops does not permit the burning of trash or leaves inside town limits.

Are there any pet owner ordinances?

There is a leash law in the Town limits meaning all pets outside your home must be on a leash or behind a fence in your yard. 

Building Permits & Inspections

What is the process for getting a building permit?

Building permits are issued through Edgecombe County. Please contact Edgecombe County Planning & Inspections at 252-641-7808 or by email at permit@edgecombeco.com

If i'm building an accessory structure at my home (i.e. pool, shed, deck) will I need a permit?

Yes, just bring a schematic of what you're building and where it is in relevance to your home. We will have a Public Works technician go out and inspect the property to ensure no lines will be hit.

How much does a zoning permit from the Town cost?


If I get a permit from the Town of Pinetops will I need one from Edgecombe County as well?

Depends on if you need electricity through the structure then you will have to get it inspected by Edgecombe, get a permit and inspection from them as well.

Electric Utility

Whom do I contact to ask questions and turn on/off services?

Please contact the Town Hall at 252-827-4435, sending a email through our "Contact Us" page or send an email to obrown@pinetopsnc.com.

If I want electricity connected to a barn or accessory structure next to my home what should I do?

If you are building a new structure you may first need a zoning permit from the Town to permit you to have the structure, then a building permit may be needed from Edgecombe County as well as an inspection before we would be able to place an electric meter.

Sanitation & Recycling

When are the garbage collection days for my street?

Garbage is collected on Mondays; every other Tuesday, recycling is collected,  Wednesday is yard waste collection, and Thursday is bulk items (i.e furniture) collection. Remember, observed holidays will alter the normal routine.  Please make certain to have your items out by 7:00 AM on collection days.

Why wasn't my garbage collected?

Public Works will now be leaving yellow stickers on your trash or recycling can with reasons why your trash wasn't collected. The penalty being that trash won't be picked up until the following Monday. If there's no yellow sticker and your trash wasn't collected please call Town Hall at 252-827-4435 by the next business day to have it picked up.


Water Utility

How could I have used this much water?

You may not have - the numbers on your meter may have been transposed or hard to read. You could possibly have a leaky toilet or faucet that's difficult to detect. Just call the office and we'll work with you to solve the problem.

My bill is past due can I get an extension?

Please contact our office to speak with the Town Administrator regarding an extension.

What do I do if I am experiencing low pressure?

Please call our office and report any low pressure issues. 

Why do I have a previous balance when I know I sent in my payment?

We may have received it after the due date or we may not have received it at all. Call our office and we will help you solve the problem.

Whom do I call in case of a water leak or burst pipe?

Please call the Town Hall at 252-827-4435, or the Police Department/Dispatch at 252-827-5014 on nights/weekends and we will send a Public Works technician out to turn off your water until the leak is fixed. 


Pineview Cemetery

Where is Pineview Cemetery located?

The Pineview Cemetery is located behind Pinetops Baptist Church at 710 W Hamlet St. 

How much does a plot from Pineview Cemetery cost?

The pricing depends on whether you or the deceased are a town resident or not.

Inside town (meaning inside city limits): $700 per plot

Outside town: $900 per plot